Another month has passed and I can’t wrap my head around the fact that it is already JUNE. A couple great things happened this month: spring finally came to my neck of the woods in the Northeastern U.S., and I think I’m nearing the end of my job search (fingers crossed/knock on wood/hopefully I didn’t just jinx anything). It was also a pretty good month of reading! Interestingly, I didn’t give any of the six books I read the same rating, but I enjoyed most of them – especially My Dark Vanessa, which was my first 5-star read in months!
- Where The Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens – 3 stars out of 5 [review]
- Beach Read by Emily Henry – 3.5 stars out of 5 [review]
- The Boyfriend Project by Farrah Rochon – 2 stars out of 5 [review]
- How We Disappeared by Jing-Jing Lee – 4 stars out of 5 [review]
- My Dark Vanessa by Kate Elizabeth Russell – 5 stars out of 5 [review]
- The Bridge of Little Jeremy by Indrajit Garai – DNF [review]
Books in progress/June TBR:
- Hamnet: I’m just wrapping this one up, and will have a review up soon. The novel wasn’t quite what I expected, but once I got over that I really enjoyed it.
- Bright Sided: Barbara Enhrenreich has been on my TBR forever, and a couple people have specifically recommended Bright Sided to me, so I’m really looking forward to it.
- Had I Known: my plan *was* to follow up Bright Sided with this more recent essay collection from Ehrenreich, but in light of recent events in the United States, I might switch this out for Another Day in the Death of America or How To Be An Antiracist.
- Bunny: I’ve seen so many positive reviews of this novel, and it sounds very much like my type of book, so I’m super excited for this.
- So We Can Glow: a collection of short-stories focused around the topic of obsession, with a glowing 5-star review from Roxane Gay – seems promising!
- Freshwater: am I a million years behind on this? Yes. Does that take away from my excitement to read this novel? No.
- The Vanishing Half: this has been on my TBR for a while, so I was very happy to see it as a BOTM offering!
- Wolf Hall: yup, I’m finally starting this trilogy! Wish me luck!
Some blog posts that stuck with me:
- Emily’s awesome “spotlight on” series, where she discusses various literary genres. At the beginning of the month she posted a spotlight on literary fiction, and near the end of the month she posted about fantasy!
- Ashley’s post about how the “Should Monster” mindset is pretty unhelpful, and can actually make it harder to get things done.
- Neriman’s anticipated reads of May-September 2020, which gave me some really exciting titles to add to my TBR!
- Gil’s side-by-side reviews of two “enemies-to-lovers” romances.
- Diana’s post about Victory Day and the WWII hero Zinaida Portnova.